Chore board contents
Because you asked. :)
This is what is on our current board. This is a new posting of the board, so I’m not sure yet how it will play out this time. Every family and new situations require their own versions; this is no perfect list even for us, much less for someone else.
So, use it as a springboard for something appropriate for your family now, not as a statement of what is best, period.
Even here, it will be tweaked and adjusted and overhauled as needed.
For now, however, here is what we have posted.
Morning Time Things
- Eat breakfast.
- Get ready for the day:
* Get dressed.
* Brush your teeth.
* Pick up the clothes in your room.
* Make your bed.
* Make sure you’re presentable:
* Is your face clean?
* Is your shirt on the right way?
* Are your pants fitting correctly?
3. Do chores.
* They aren’t done until you have actually cleaned your area.
* Put your tools away when you are done.
4. Start school.
* Piano practice
* Read little ones a picture book
a page of mottos
Don’t pass it up, pick it up!
When you’re done with one thing, put it away before moving on to another thing.
Respond cheerfully, politely, and promptly.
Obey right away, all the way, with a good attitude every day.
Do it right the first time, every time.
No fussing. No whining. No complaining.
- If you fuss, cry, or contradict your mother, you are clearly tired and will need to go to bed early or take a nap.
- If you are interested in nothing but computer games, you need a couple days’ break from the computer.
- If you goof off before your morning things are done, you may not play the computer that day.
- If you are bored, I will give you some useful work.
- If you can’t do your work cheerfully, you’ll need more work to practice responding and working well.
Remember, you only get stronger and better and smarter by working at things that are challenging and difficult for you. Keep a stout heart and tackle hard things!
H: Clear & clean the breakfast table. Sweep around the table.
J: Clear & clean the kitchen island. Sweep around the island.
I: Unload the dishwasher.
K: Empty the bathroom garbages into the kitchen garbage.
EHAP stands for Everything Has a Place and is a slogan for our afternoon pick up time
Everyone: Tidy up the main level, including books shelved properly.
Everyone: Put away your pile of laundry.
H: Take out the garbage.
J: Dry mop the main level.
I: Put furniture back in its right place.
Before we leave the house
H: Take Knox out and buckle him.
J: Help me out with stuff to the car.
I: Turn off all lights.
Dinner helper has to come report for duty by 4:15.
M – H | T – J | W – n/a | R – I | F – K
- Help prep food.
- Set the table.
- Help clean as we go.
- Take out the compost after clearing food prep garbage.
- Help clear the table after dinner.