- Why? (November 2009)
I suspect it would have been just as difficult for Elly to not make her bed as it was for me to make my bed. In both cases, it would seem to us that something was not right. In my case, because a jumble of blankets was normal, and a made bed was unfamiliarly neat-looking.
- Habits, Routines, & Schedules (November 2009)
Establishing a routine bestows more emotional energy.
- Established by Repetition (November 2009)
Everyday on the schedule is a day toward the goal. Every day off the schedule is not a day off, but a day — or maybe even too — backwards, away from the goal.
- Duty & Self-Discipline (November 2009)
“What are the demands that the needs of our families or neighbors lay upon us? That is the line of duty God has marked out for us. […] Duty is good. When we do it, we are doing good, but are not thereby gaining merit.” — Elisabeth Elliot
- The Nitty-Gritty (November 2009)
So, here we are again, and I’m talking myself into this all once more. However, the routines I began to work on did work on the days I worked at them, so I know I have something workable here.
- Why Should I Make My Bed? (June 2010)
To make a bed, after so many years of reasoning to myself that it is a stupid thing to do, is a job in resisting and breaking my inclinations
- Inertia (January 2011)
How can we help ourselves do what we know we should be doing when we can’t get over ourselves well enough to get moving and get it done? After all, we already know in that moment, that getting over ourselves would solve the supposed “energy” problem.
Household Habits Bibliographic Trail
- Learn from gospel-centered homemaking & homeschooling self-paced courses you can navigate on your own terms. Level up your plans and progress, one step at a time.
- Find a community of likeminded women, working to find what’s important, and do it – every day.
- Get support through ongoing conversation, discipleship, and prompts to increase your skill and your motivation as we spur one another on to love and good works.
just $15/month – for a limited time