In 2009 I participated in an online book club on Joseph Pieper’s Leisure, the Basis of Culture.
This book is the introduction to scholé, but it’s also a tough read. It’s short, but it’s dense and sometimes cumbersome, being a translation from German.
Get the “Mystie’s notes” version here, with favorite quotes and discussion questions.
- Chapter 1: Leisure is the goal of labor.
- Chapter 2: Intellectual work.
- Chapter 3: Defining Leisure
- Chapter 4: A man’s occupation is not his identity.
- Chapter 5: Leisure is celebration.