I started off with the Cuisinart ice cream maker recipe, but, of course, adjusted it. I wanted intense flavor.
The only thing worse than no coffee ice cream is weak coffee cream.
So, here’s my version, which I now wish to save for posterity:
Mystie’s Homemade Intense Coffee Ice Cream Recipe
- Mix together well:
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 generous tablespoons instant espresso powder
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- When the powders are dissolved, gently add
- 2 cups heavy cream (38% or higher)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Add to your ice cream maker and churn as directed.
- While it’s churning, chop up 1/3 cup almonds and toast them until fragrant. Stick them in the freezer to cool them down quickly.
- Also, chop up a small amount of dark or semisweet chocolate. I would have given a once over with the knife to 1/4 cup chocolate chips, but I happened to have 2 squares of Lindt extra dark chocolate, and I deemed this ice cream worthy of them.
- During the last 5 minutes of churning, add the bits of chocolate and the now-cold almonds.
- Freeze in a covered container overnight to ripen, but when you lick the spatula, it will be hard to imagine that it could get better.