I know when I was first starting to put our Circle Time together, I searched to find ideas for hymns and Scripture memory to pick. It was a good way to start.
Now I keep a running list. When we sing a hymn at church where I think, “We really should learn this one,” I try to note that somewhere where it will make it back to my notes. When I am reading the Bible and I think, “Wow, that would be great to memorize,” I jot down the passage on a list I keep inside the cover of my Bible notebook. I have enough material in my notes now to keep us in songs and memory work for years, and I have to make hard choices during planning time.
For my own reference, and in case others are looking for ideas to populate their Circle Time, here is our list of hymns and Psalms we’ve learned so far, in our 4 years of Circle Time to date. PH stands for Psalter Hymnal, our church’s hymnal; CC stands for Cantus Christi, the hymnal of the CRE, whose Genevan settings of the Psalms we love.
The primary goal I have for our hymn-learning, and therefore how I make most of my choices, is that the children learn hymns we sing regularly at church so that they can participate better in worship. We also regularly sing together the service music (Doxology & Gloria Patri). I absolutely love hearing my 2-year-old sing the Doxology in his crib — all of my 2-year-olds have, and it is a blessing.
Psalms & Hymns Learned
- Be Thou My Vision (CC 342)
- Christ Shall Have Dominion (PH 135, Ps 72)
- The Church’s One Foundation (PH 398)
- Come, Thou Almighty King (PH 317)
- Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing (PH 314)
- Crown Him with Many Crowns (CC 293)
- For All the Saints (CC 281 – the Cantus has 8 verses; our hymnal only has 5)
- The God of Abraham Praise (CC 328)
- God the Lord is Known in Judah (CC 115, Ps 76)
- Guide Me O Thou Great Jehovah (PH 407)
- Hallelujah, Praise Jehovah (PH 304, Ps 148)
- Have Thine Own Way, Lord (PH 452)
- Holy, Holy, Holy (PH 318)
- Jesus Shall Reign Where’er the Sun (PH 399)
- Let Israel Now Say in Thankfulness (CC 162, Ps 124)
- A Mighty Fortress is Our God (PH 444)
- O Come, My Soul, Bless Thou the Lord (PH 204, Ps 103)
- Praise to the Lord, the Almighty (PH 327)
- This is My Father’s World (PH 374)
And this year we’re adding to our list
- Praise the Savior (PH 361)
- Not What My Hands Have Done (PH 389)
- To All My Brothers I’ll Declare (CC 34, Ps 22)
- Thrice Blest Be Jehovah (PH 296, Ps 144)
- Lord, Our Lord Thy Glorious Name (PH 13, Ps 8)
- Rejoice, the Lord is King (PH 368)