The essential recipe for no-knead artisan bread can also be the base for several delectible variations. Proceed with the base recipe as directed, but make the following additions when stirring together the dough.
- Use up to half whole-wheat flour in the dough.
- Substitute 1/2-3/4 the flour with whole-wheat flour
- Stir in 1/2 cup roughly chopped walnuts & 1/2 cup dried cranberries
This is a great breakfast bread!
Roasted Garlic or Caramelized Onion
- Roast a head of garlic or caramelize an onion
- Smash or roughly chop the roasted garlic cloves
- Stir in the cloves of garlic or the onion with the dough
Herb & Cheese
- Add 1/2-3/4 cup shredded cheddar or Parmesan cheese
- If desired, add bits of cooked bacon as well, or 1/4 c. fresh chives
Let rise at least overnight and up to 30 hours in the fridge, since the dough contains cheese
- Add 1/8-1/4 cup minced fresh chives, parsley, green onions, cilantro, or dill; or 1 tablespoon oregano or rosemary
In a pinch you can use dried. Use 1/3 the amount of fresh called for.