We’re in the midst of Summer Term 2013 – our first term of the school year. Here is what we’re doing this term in Circle Time.
New Circle Time Content
These we sing and recite daily.
But are we so corrupt that we are totally unable to do any good and inclined toward all evil? Yes, unless we are born again, by the Spirit of God.
We do 2 per day, alternating even and odd days.
- Proverbs 20:11: Even a child makes himself known by his acts, by whether his conduct is pure and upright.
- Proverbs 10:23: Doing wrong is like a joke to a fool, but wisdom is pleasure to a man of understanding.
- Proverbs 12:1: Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.
- Proverbs 12:22: Lying lips are an abomination to the Lord, but those who act faithfully are his delight.
For this year’s new mottos, I adapted some of the Harris’ 21 Rules of This House (my family had the original coloring-page materials when it was new in the ’90s).
We do two mottos on Tuesday and two on Wednesday.
- Hand shake! Firm & cheerful; eyes on eyes. (review)
- When we have work to do, we do it without complaining. (new)
- Hustle to help out (review)
- We consider one another’s interests ahead of our own. (new)
These are daily, although they are what we skip if we are pressed for time.
- Hans: The Man in the Moon Stayed Up Too Late, Tolkien
- Jaeger: A Good Play, Stevenson
- Ilse: Psalm 1
- Knox: Happy Thought, Stevenson
- Myself: A Litany, Donne (The first four stanzas only, and I have to skip the line “crucified again.” I love Donne’s poetry, but Christ died once for all, and even poetically I will not request He die again or hint His sacrifice was insufficient.)
O Son of God, who, seeing two things,
Sin and Death, crept in, which were never made,
By bearing one, tried’st with what stings
The other could Thine heritage invade ;
O be Thou nail’d unto my heart,
And crucified again;
Part not from it, though it from Thee would part,
But let it be by applying so Thy pain,
Drown’d in Thy blood, and in Thy passion slain.
Our Circle Time binders have more review material in them in the day-of-the-week and even/odd tabs, but this is the new stuff. I’ve gathered all the materials that have been in our binders on a Memory Work Resources page.