I am so excited to be the host for the book club of James K.A. Smith’s Desiring the Kingdom! We will begin January 7th and go for an entire 16 weeks though the end of April. I will have a summary and link-up post here every Tuesday (Lord willing!) between those dates for you to come check out and join the discussion. Whether you have a blog of your own or not, or whether you write a post every week or not, you are welcome to participate as much as you are able and inclined.
In addition to reading the book, another good preparation for the discussion would be to listen to Jenny Rallen’s talk at the Society of Classical Learning’s 2013 conference: “Incorporating Liturgy.” And, if you want to follow along, but can’t commit to reading the book, you can get a good overview of his arguments from his talks at Society for Classical Learning and also at Inside Classical Education. Calvin College, where he teaches philosophy, also has an hour-long video of him speaking on this topic: Desiring the Kingdom. I haven’t listened to them yet, but I also found these lectures on the topic.
Book Club Schedule
- January 7 | Introduction, p. 17-36
- January 14 | Chapter 1 until “I am what I love,” p.37-46
- January 21 | Chapter 1 “I am what I love” until “From worldviews…” p.46-63
- January 28 | Chapter 1 “From worldviews…” through the end, p.63-73
- February 4 | Chapter 2, p.75-88
- February 11 | Chapter 3 until “Sacrificial Violence,” p.89-103
- February 18 | Chapter 3 “Sacrificial Violence” until “Picturing the University’s Liturgies,” p.103-118
- February 25 | Chapter 3 “Picturing the University’s Liturgies” to the end, p.118-129
- March 4 | Chapter 4 until “Picturing the Sacramental Imagination,” p.131-144
- March 11 | Chapter 4 “Picturing the Sacramental Imagination” to the end, p.144-154
- March 18 | Chapter 5, through “Call to Worship,” p.155-166
- March 25 | Chapter 5, “God’s Greeting” through “Song,” p.166-173
- April 1 | Chapter 5, “The Law” through “Baptism,” p.173-190
- April 8 | Chapter 5, “The Creed” through “Eucharist,” p.190-203
- April 15 | Chapter 5, “Offering” through the end of the chapter, p.203-214
- April 22 | Chapter 6: “A Christian University Is for Lovers,” p.215-230
- April 29 | optional wrap-up thoughts
Please feel free to spread the word, invite your friends, and use the graphic! Please link the graphic to this post so that people can find all the posts as we go.
I hope you can join us!