We put in our first week with a solid 5 days of Circle Time & math! Yay! I can see some things I will definitely need to tweak, especially before we’re going full steam in a few weeks, but that’s what a first week and a first term is for.
Two-thirds of our morning memory work time is spent in review, but this is our new content we’ll cover daily all six weeks:
Heidelberg Q&A 1: “What is your only comfort in life and in death?”
New Hymn: “To God Be the Glory”
We’re using the accompaniment of A Cappella Hymns, though we have to pause between verses because it only has verses 1 & 3, and we won’t skip verse 2. :)
New Memory Work Content
- Psalm: 34
- Passage: 2 Timothy 2:3-7
- Proverb: Proverbs 6:6-11
Hans and Jaeger picked all their own poems this year.
- Me: “The World is Too Much With Us” by William Wordsworth
- Hans (11): “A Pirate Story” by Robert Louis Stevenson
- Jaeger (9): “There Was a Naughty Boy” by John Keats
- Ilse (6.5): “Bed in Summer” by Robert Louis Stevenson
- Knox (4.5): “Whole Duty of Children” by Robert Louis Stevenson
All-Year Memory Work
This year I’m trying something a little different. I put some new content behind the day-of-the-week tabs in our Memory Work binders that we’ll recite on that day of the week all year. It adds up to a similar number of times recited, and I’m curious to see how it plays out.
Colossians has 4 chapters, so every Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday, all year long, we’ll read aloud together a chapter of Colossians.
I want us to learn and internalize the 10 Commandments this year, so I broke it up like this:
- Monday, overview: Exodus 20, Catechism for Young Children Q& A 72-79, Heidelberg Q&A 91 (“What do we do that is good?”)
- Tuesday, commandments 1 & 2: Catechism for Young Children Q&A 80-83, Heidelberg Q&A 94 & 96
- Wednesday, commandments 3 & 4: Catechism for Young Children Q&A 84-90, Heidelberg Q&A 99, 100, & 103
- Thursday, commandments 5, 6, & 7: Catechism for Young Children Q&A 91-96, Heidelberg Q&A 104-109
- Friday, commandments 8, 9, & 10 + the use of them: Catechism for Young Children Q&A 97-102, Heidelberg Q&A 110-113
The Catechism for Young Children Q&As include “What is the x commandment? The x commandment is:…” and the commandment from Exodus 20 verbatim.
No Elementary Lessons during summer term.