Hi I’m Pam. I’m cook, chauffeur, teacher, sometimes house cleaner, and main boo boo kisser. At Everyday Snapshots I strive to help you be the best homeschool mom you can be.
Ah, May! The time when homeschool moms’ minds turn to summer and a break from homeschooling. For most of us, though, it is also the time for reflecting on the year — what worked, what didn’t, and all the things we learned.
May is a great time to talk about different ways to preserve the year with homeschool portfolios. In this episode of Simplified Organization Hangouts we discuss the pros of digital homeschool portfolios — what are the benefits of going digital and why portfolios are worth our time. We offer a few suggestions for digital portfolios and discuss the pros and cons of each one.
Caveat: We realize the thought of wading through a year of papers, records, and memories is a daunting one. So while you’re thinking about looking back and recording the last year, if that is just too overwhelming, then watch the video with an eye toward the future. What can you do now, what systems can you put in place for next year, to help you create a portfolio in manageable chunks as the year unfolds?
So go grab that overflowing folder of student work, fire up your scanner, sit back, and enjoy.
In this Hangout Pam and Mystie Discuss:
- End of the Year Folders – Non-digital inspiration from Sarah.
- Paperless Home Organization – The book that started it all. How to make everything in your life paperless!
- ScannerPro Tutorial – Get a scanner on your smartphone!
- Evernote – Option for digital portfolios. Has high search functionality (search photos and handwritten text), high sharing capabilities, low on the pretty factor.
- A Perfect Method for Keeping Unschooling Records – How Sue Elvis uses Evernote to record her children’s learning. Would work for any method of homeschooling.
- Keynote – Presentation software for Macs.
- Powerpoint – Presentation software for PC and Macs.
- Office Online – Free online apps. Includes Powerpoint.
- Google Presentation App – Part of the free Google Docs suite.