It’s inevitable. It happens to all of us. We head into the afternoon not knowing what we’ll make for dinner. But we can’t avoid it. Our people need to eat.
That’s why I keep my few easy dinner methods up my sleeve and add variety and creativity based on what I have on hand.
The other day it was 4pm and I didn’t know what would be for dinner, but my husband was doing yard work so I knew he’d have a hearty appetite. There was no relying on sandwiches tonight. I had some ground sausage in the freezer and two or three yams. It occurred to me that the two might pair extremely well together.
They certainly did.
I’ve written before about potato hash. It’s one of my go-to flexible, filling meals (the instructions are found in my ebook Simplified Dinners). But I’d never tried it with yams before.
But I’ll definitely be trying it again with them!
Easy, Healthy Dinner Recipe: Yam Hash
- Brown ground sausage in a large skillet with onions. If you have them, you can also add diced bell peppers, celery, or zucchini.
- After scrubbing the yams, dice them into small bits. Or you can use the small julienne option of a slicer. No need to peel them.
- Add the diced yams to the browned sausage. Add a splash of water if things start sticking to the pan.
- Continue stirring, adding splashes of water as necessary, until the yams are soft.
- Taste and salt as desired.