When we purchased our current home nearly five years ago, the kitchen had already been remodeled into a cook’s dream. In addition to the copper sink and double wall ovens, it has a large gas cooktop. Gas has taken awhile to get used to, but I do love cooking with a gas range.
This particular gas range came with a cast-iron griddle that fits on top of two of the gas elements. Our family had already blown through two or three electric griddles, so I was happy to try out this new solution that I’d inherited.
I love my cast iron griddle that fits on top of the stovetop! I will never purchase or recommend a different type again.
How do I love it? Let me count the ways.
- I cook 6 large pancakes at a time on it.
- I fry 8 eggs at a time on it.
- I can sear steaks and hamburgers on it when the weather is too inclement to use the grill.
- I make tortillas, English muffins, and flatbreads on it.
- I make a warm spinach salad on it in one minute flat.
- I make six grilled cheese sandwiches on it at a time.
- I can make six to eight slices of French toast on it at a time.
- It’s easy to store.
- It wipes clean with a paper towel.
- It can be used on the grill outside or on a camp stove if desired.
- It heats evenly and holds the heat well.
We use our stovetop griddle nearly every day. And since it’s just a cast-iron pan, there’s no wiring to give out or features to break down. It’s heavy and durable and there’s no reason it shouldn’t last us our whole lives.
Don’t waste your money on electric griddles. Get a cast iron griddle you can use on your stove rather than another appliance. You won’t regret it.
Cast Iron Griddle Options
Ours came from the stovetop manufacturer with the stovetop. But any of these would be just as good.