The weather is heating up and a cold, tasty beverage is exactly what hits the spot on a hot afternoon.
But so many of the iced drink options are calorie-laden, full of sugar or juice or dairy. I wanted a drink that I could drink glass after glass without guilt or counting – that I could slug while still keeping my weight loss plan.
I’ve hit upon the simple drink that fits the bill: iced herbal green tea.
I can vary the flavors or the strength, but it doesn’t need sugar to make it tolerable.
To make this drink, you’ll need at least one of these green teas (or something similar):
and one of these herbal teas (or something similar):
Easy Iced Herbal Green Tea, no sugar, no calories
- Bring 6-8 cups of water to a simmer.
- In a large glass jar or pitcher, add 3 green tea bags and 2-3 herbal tea bags (I prefer berry flavors). I use a laundry clip to secure the bags onto the jar.
- Pour the hot water over the tea bags and let steep for 3-4 minutes. Remove the bags.
- Fill a large glass with ice and pour the strong tea straight over the ice. Enjoy!
Within 3 minutes you can have a pitcher full of a refreshing, ice cold drink that’s perfect for a hot summer day!
Tea combinations I’ve tried
- 1 Matcha Maker, 2 generic green tea, 4 Acai Berry Herbal Tea
- 3 Bigalow Green Tea with Pomegranate, 3 Tazo Passion – my favorite
- 3 decaf green tea, 4 raspberry herbal tea (the kids loved this one, too)
- 3 Bigalow Green Tea with Lemon, 4 blueberry herbal
The Matcha Maker tea contains stevia, so it will naturally sweeten your tea more than the others. I personally don’t care for it alone, but if I use one bag and two bags of another green tea, I find it makes a balanced cup.
A squirt of lime juice also helps add a little zing and goes particularly well with the Tazo Passion or a raspberry tea.
Try it and let me know what combinations you create for yourself!