Have you ever experienced habitual conflict with a loved one that seemed unavoidable and unsolvable?
Have you ever gotten stuck in negativity from comparing yourself with others?
Have you ever felt stuck in unhealthy choices without the energy or direction to change?
Of course you have, because we all have.
Understanding your personality – and your homeschool personality – will help you unravel tensions and unproductive behaviors faster than anything.
Not only that, if you also know your spouse’s, children’s, or mother’s personality, then those seemingly unavoidable conflicts can be quickly diffused – knowing the personality patterns shows the way to choose understanding and appreciation over conflict and turmoil.
Geeking out on MBTI typing can be an awesome way to waste a day or a week, but so much of it is based on career advice or the work place that it’s difficult to see how it applies to moms at home, raising children.
But what we have is a personality hotbed.
We need to work in line with, and not against our own personalities. Sometimes that means going against “common wisdom” or received practices – and sometimes it doesn’t.
We need to account for each child’s personality, and help each one develop his own strengths, rather than try to make them conform to our own.
We need to be effective and wise counselors, guiding our children and our friends (not to mention ourselves) toward greater understanding, maturity, and kindness.
Knowing personality typing gives us the vocabulary to talk about each other’s strengths and weaknesses with sympathy and grace. With new categories in our minds, we can better interpret the dynamic playing out in our homes and address it effectively.
Instead of escalating or ignoring conflict, we can see the path of resolution.
Disclaimer: I am an enthusiast on the topic, not an expert and have no credentials in the matter. I only read, think, and talk about it all the time. So sometimes I also have to write about it. Humor me.
Download the free Homeschool Mom Personality Cheat Sheet
Find help that fits your personality:
Podcasts on Mom Personality Types:
Perks of Personality: free 1-page reference explaining MBTI cognitive functions
Find out what those letters really mean.
Learn more in The Practical Personality Portfolio.
- a 13-page handbook explaining in simple and straightforward terms, with clear and insightful charts. With this handbook, you’ll be able to work out personality types without silly online tests.
- a profile page for each personality that is both highly detailed and concise. In an easy-to-read format, these profile pages will give you a cheat-sheet to understand how to work with and appreciate each type.
- a single-page reference sheet to apply cognitive functions to your children’s education.
- an ever-growing online resource page with links to all my articles and podcasts on personality, video explanations, FAQs, and an annotated bibliography.
- access to a forum to discuss applications and implications of personality within the home.
With these resources in hand, you can not only type yourself and your children, but also know what to do based on that information. You’ll learn
- what motivates each type
- what stresses each type
- what stress looks like in each type
- how each type can destress
- what discourages each type
- how each type prefers to work and relate to others
- what is difficult for each type
- what gift each type brings to the world
- and much more!
Now included in Simply Convivial Membership!
- Access any and all courses at any time, in any order. Level up your homemaking and your homeschooling, one baby step at a time.
- Find a community of likeminded women, working toward the same goal: learning to love what must be done.
- Get support through ongoing conversation, help, and prompts to increase your skill and your motivation as we spur one another on to love and good works.
$12/month – price increases on July 8!