Have you ever ordered a chai latte at a coffee shop? They are delicious! Perhaps you’ve tried the boxed concentrate? Many coffee shops are only using the concentrate anyway.
But there’s an even cheaper option, and you can decide how strong and how sweet you like your beverage. You can easily and quickly make a single cup or a whole jar of tea concentrate.
Easy Homemade Iced Chai Latte
- Bring a pot of water to a boil, about 1 – 1 1/2 cups for every serving.
- Add 2 bags of chai tea per serving, plus 1-2 for good measure. Turn off the heat and let sit for about 5 minutes. Remove and discard.
- Sweeten as desired while it’s still hot.
- Let sit until cooled to room temperature or chill immediately. If you want to make your latte right away, add more tea bags when you make your concentrate, to account for the dilution.
- Mix your homemade concentrated chai tea in equal proportions with milk, and add some ice.
- Sip and enjoy!
Concentrate can be stored in a jar in the fridge for a week or so.
Personally, I think coffee is better with a higher fat content dairy (although, the higher the fat content, the less is required). However, I find non-fat milk does not make a chai taste thin as it does in a coffee latte. So after two cups of chai I’ve had no fat, only a little sugar, and a serving of dairy. And let’s not forget that tea has antioxidants. It’s practically a health food!